Peace Corps Jamaica: Green Initiative

"Leave behind all but your mind, discover the world by learning, understand what it is you're yearning, respect all those whom you oppose, always continue the incredible journey." - Dick Wood

The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps

Saturday, May 12, 2012

"Teach me how to jerk"

Hey all,
Not sure if any body still checks this thing but I figured I'd throw up a quick post anyway.
All is good here. The truth is I don't really have a lot to report on. The things that were once out of the ordinary and therefore noteworthy are now the normal components of my every day life.  It's difficult sometimes to differentiate those stories that anybody would find remotely interesting. Nonetheless, Ill try.

As for Peace Corps work, the construction of the water project is completed. All 600 or so residents in Bellevue now have access to clean running water. My community members here are probably real sick of hearing it from me but I continue to preach that the real project is now just beginning... now we have to figure out how to manage the thing. In this regard we are making progress, slow progress albeit but we we are moving forward.  

I'm gonna try real hard here not to break off into deep development philosophy but the whole thing has been a fascinating study.  I was explaining the project to a family member recently and she was just gushing with pride. She said something to he effect of "Gosh you must be the man around there!" Haha, well, not quite. Its complicated. When the project was finished. There was no dancing in the streets, or naked children frolicking around a standing pipe gushing with cool, clean water. You'd never believe it but we are having a HELL of a time getting people to actually hook up to the system. It makes slinging $100 cabernet look easy.  The reason can be found in two inconvenient realities. Domestic water costs money and Bellevue doesn't have any money. 

A big chunk of my time since February has been spent with the community group that runs the system creating a business plan that would allow the residents of Bellevue access to cheap, but economically  sustainable water.  I do my best to explain: "look, we could have free water and it might last a year, or we could charge a fee, and it could last forever." To me it the answer is clear. But I come from the land of Iphones and six figure salaries.  The business plan we worked out calls for 60 customers paying $500 J per month in order for us to break even. As of the beginning of May we are up to 45, which is double what we had in February. Of those 45, 44% actually pay their bill, which isn't great but its better than the 8% we had at the beginning of the year. We are really making some progress and it feels great. I think in about a years time we might actually be operating in the black. If we can achieve that, I'll be the one frolicking naked in the gushing standing pipe.

With the construction now over I've had the time to start on some other small projects. I started an environmental club at the school, built a demonstration plot to showcase organic farming techniques and hillside farming techniques, and worked with a local NGO to assist local farmers with disaster mitigation land husbandry techniques. It's been a real treat to get back to the farmers.

Last month I had the gift of hosting my lovely family. We were able to split time between Bellevue and an all inclusive in Runaway Bay. I welcomed the opportunity of a warm shower and a break from boiled green bananas. The resort even had Jack Daniels which runs for about $50 US here when you can actually find it.  Hosting my family in Bellevue was even more fun, though. They got to see first hand the deceptive dichotomy that IS Jamaica.  Watching them go through the sensory overload that I remember from my first day in Bellevue was especially entertaining. It's a lot to take in, and they did great. Brother John was able to hang out for an extra week to really experience PCV life before he left for his 4 month trip around the world. Bro, if you are reading this can you drop me a line? Hope you are still alive.

Some random news... I adopted a dog. His name is Beenie, after Beenie man, the king of dancehall.
I will be visiting the US for three weeks at the end of August.
Will be spending most of my time in the bay with family and friends.
Big up to all those who have sent me care packages... Among them Mom, Dad, Christina, Kris Parise... huge thanks, you are true patriots.
My host mom and sister got their Visa's a week ago and are already in Pennsylvania starting their new jobs. The family dynamic will change drastically as the ship has lost it's captain in Kate. I already miss them dearly. They both spoiled me. The bachelor pad should be fun though for the six months they are gone.

Before I sign off, here are a few pics: 



The Bellevue Environmental Entrepreneurs (BEE Club) showing off their "Adapting to Climate Change" posters. TJ, on the far left actually won $75 from the UNDP for his work.

Bill taking a leak out of his right pant leg like a real man. Its a long journey to Bellevue. Pit stops are common and necessary.

My boy Squeaky putting on a Jerk lesson for my brother


Beenie trying to charm Kate into some Jerk

In the spirit of cultural exchange, I though it only appropriate to put on a BBQ chicken clinic after the Jerk lesson. Homemade BBQ sauce.... finger lickin' good

The trail to the dam.
Me and Beenie up at the dam
John, gettin his jerk on
The most important ingredient,  Scotch Bonnet peppers
The finished product
Bomb

Brother John planting his first Yam during a hillside farming demo day.



A clip from a workday to do some finishing touches on the dam.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. I admire your patience. The pic of Bill was entertaining! xoxo Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks ,Mark, for keeping us abreast of what is happening in your part of the world. You are amazing! Chris (Brie's mom)

    ReplyDelete