Peace Corps Jamaica: Green Initiative

"Leave behind all but your mind, discover the world by learning, understand what it is you're yearning, respect all those whom you oppose, always continue the incredible journey." - Dick Wood

The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps

Friday, October 7, 2011

1, 2, Tree


Earlier this week I got in touch with the director of forestry at the Portland office about them donating a tree or two to the Bellevue Primary School for National Tree Planting Day (today). He agreed to donate a couple Blue Mahoe, Jamaica's national tree. I went down to the office yesterday to retrieve them and started chatting it up with the lady at the reception desk. After giving her a few minutes of the ol' Hudson charm I was walking out the door with a Blue Mahoe, 2 Weeping Willows, a Poor Man's Orchid, 2 Yellow Poui, an Acacia, and a Pride of Barbados... a total of 8 trees... major score. 

I got home pretty early and decided I better go prep the holes to ensure everything ran smoothly today. The idea of 40 kids running around with shovels and forks kind of scared me. After school though, a few of the kids saw me in my bush clothes (which they all love) and offered their help. After a few tries with the fork they decided football was more interesting.  I spoke with Ms. Francis, the principal, before she left and she agreed to give me some time during this morning's devotion for a tree planting ceremony. Everything was coming together quite nicely.

This is Glenroy reading his tree poem for the rest of the students.
The children started to gather this morning and I asked Ms. Mac to guide the students in a few hymns.  Once we had a good enough showing we went outside, had a brief discussion on why we all like trees, and a few of the kids recited some tree poetry for the rest of the school.  After the poetry was read, I did a little tree planting demonstration for all to watch and then assigned a tree and a location to each class. It is up to each grade to water their tree everyday and to protect it from goats, pigs, reckless pickney, and footballs. I think if we can keep 50% alive through the first year thats something
to be proud of... we'll see how it goes.
Jamar reading his poem.

Here are some photos for your viewing pleasure... If anyone from back at home gets inspired to plant a tree in the near future, send me a picture so I can show my students... gracias



Close up of Gelnroy with Ms. McPherson looking on. She's my favorite teacher.


Abby and Monikete (sp?) tag teaming a poem. After the activity I overheard Abby walking around the school yard reciting her portion of the poem. That was especially gratifying. Literacy AND environmentalism in action. Doesn't get much better than that.


Grade 1 getting their hand dirty with a Poor Mans Orchid


Grade 6, including travis who is falling backwards in the background, proudly showing off their Blue Mahoe.
A couple grade two students with their Yellow Poui tree.



4 comments:

  1. We will try to get on this before 5th grade camp...which means in the next week or two. It may have to wait. Meanwhile, I will share the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS I'm missin' that Hudson charm that is uniquely you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark, you are reMarkable! Thanks so much for the fascinating news of your journey in Jamaica. Our lives seem so mundane when I read your blog. Absolutely great pictures. Chris, (Brie's mom)PS just found your blog and hope you don't mind if I become a follower.

    ReplyDelete