Peace Corps Jamaica: Green Initiative

"Leave behind all but your mind, discover the world by learning, understand what it is you're yearning, respect all those whom you oppose, always continue the incredible journey." - Dick Wood

The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Welcome to Bellevue

Yesterday was a very exciting day for the PC trainee group 82. After hours of conspiracy theories and analyzing hints by our project managers and staff members, we now know where we will be spending the next two years...

I'm moving to Bellevue Portland to work with a brand new farmers PMO (Production and Marketing Organization). Portland is located on the north eastern part of the island and is arguably one of the most beautiful parishes. My resources will be few and the work will be great, but from what I hear, Ill be working with some motivated, energetic individuals.

I havent actually been out to see my site yet. I move there this afternoon after spending the morning with my new supervisor.  I won't have internet for a while but as soon as I can, ill write an update with some firsthand perspective.

My site on paper....
Host Agency's Top 6 Activities
1) Protected Ag (green houses and such)
2) Improved Ag Practices (Natural Disaster Mitigations)
3) Environmental and Ag Education
4) School Gardens
5) Reforestation
6) Marketing and Record Keeping (Business management and skills for farmers)

Bellevue is rural community with an estimated population of 1200 people.
Will be living in 4 bedroom, 1 bath house with 4 other adults and a 7 year old.

The resources are few and the work is plenty. Can't wait to get started.

More to come this weekend

1 comment:

  1. Mark! I love reading about your adventures. it sounds like you are loving all the exciting new experiences! keep us updated....
    i will be checking often
    much love
    hay

    ReplyDelete