Peace Corps Jamaica: Green Initiative

"Leave behind all but your mind, discover the world by learning, understand what it is you're yearning, respect all those whom you oppose, always continue the incredible journey." - Dick Wood

The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps

Monday, June 27, 2011

Welcome to Miami

After 10 days of goodbyes, parties, packing, and more goodbyes, I have finally embarked on my Peace Corps journey. I arrived in Miami a couple hours ago without any issues. The whole flight took about 5.5 hours. I took the shuttle to the Crowne Plaza hotel and my roommate arrived shortly thereafter (surprise to me that I was even going to have a roommate, the PC loves surprises). But no big deal, his name is Mark too.

Mark and I met up with 5 other volunteers who arrived today. After a little meet and greet sesh we decided to hit the town with the intention of finding the best cuban food Miami has to offer.  We found a spot close to the hotel and after a few awkward minutes we all got to talking. Other than Mark, there's Ruby, who lives in LA. Jamaica will be her second stab at the Peace Corps thing. She was evacuated out of Eastern Europe last July after her training due to some political unrest in the region.  Then there's Linda from Oklahoma who, if I understand correctly, has been some type of counselor or therapist her entire career. Ann and David also joined us. David served as a volunteer in the PC 30/40 years ago and decided that he's ready for round two. I'm pretty sure David has traveled every continent in the world besides Antarctica, and to top it off, he has a PhD in Biophysics.... pretty cool dude to talk to. I have a feeling I'll learn a thing or two from him in the next two years.

I was the only one at dinner tonight who is working in the ag sector or, formally, the "Green Initiative". I'm looking forward to meeting some of my peers at staging tomorrow.

It's only 6 o clock on the west coast but I am exhausted! Time to call it a night as I have a busy day of "staging" tomorrow. I have a feeling staging will involve lots of tedious paper work but I cant wait to find out for sure!

Then, on Wednesday morning we all board a plane for Kingston.

Thanks for all the goodbye love this week. Below are some pictures from packing, fishing trip with grandpa, and the farewell dinner at moms... enjoy.






1 comment:

  1. i miss you already... work was depressing today. good luck love bug e-mail soon!

    ReplyDelete